Wednesday, December 15, 2010

How Do These Images Make You Feel?

A parade marking the 60th anniversary of the Communist Party's rise to power in China, October 1, 2009, Tiananmen Square, Beijing, China; video by Dan Chung, Vimeo.

To watch the video click on this button in the above frame:

and then this button to go to full screen:

I've watched this 3.5 minute video over and over. It stirs up so many feelings in me. I can't decide whether I feel happy for them, enamored with them, intimidated by them, or possibly even terrified of them. How does it make you feel? And along these lines, how did the '08 Opening Ceremonies make you feel?

How should we feel when we see China "flex its muscles" or "express itself" on a scale not seen since the Cold War? This is a fundamental question that I would like to answer through this experience.

China is causing us to experience feelings that we have never felt before (or haven't felt in several decades.) For me, these images are a fitting way to start our journey because they stir up those feelings deep within me. My hope is that you and I will watch this video six months from now and experience very different feelings then we do now. My hope is that we will develop our understanding and appreciation of modern China in ways that will allow us to see it in a new light.

But we're getting ahead of ourselves... tell us how you feel about China today. What is your gut reaction to these images? What part of you gives rise to these feelings?

2 comments:

  1. What the video highlights for me ...

    China is on the move and gaining its confidence back, day by day.

    - Prof. Carr

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delighted to be experiencing, and participating, in your journey. As you indicated, this video stirs many thoughts...a proud nation, a resurgence to power and influence on the world stage, a rich cultural heritage, a huge nation on the move. Yes it is a spectacle that the government wishes the balance of the world to see...but it is also about reinforcing pride and nationalism among the Chinese people themselves.

    I think of the feelings that I experience while in the stands of the Air Force football stadium and a group of F-15's come thundering overhead and peal off into vertical ascents toward the heavens. A jaw-dropping, thunderous display of power, commitment, duty, honor and pride in country. Granted, as a nation, we don't quite have a singular, massive parade of the type shown in this video, but we have thousands of similar, but much, much smaller displays of military, political and cultural significance every 4th of July...and that juxtaposition of the way the Central government of China coordinates a massive, centralized parade and display versus our more grass-roots, small, independent, scattered parades and celebrations causes me to think. Perhaps this is a window of insight into where the genesis of power resides in each respective country and system of government. I'd be interested to know if communities around China have smaller parades and celebrations for their "anniversary" like we do in America for our 4th of July "anniversary" celebrations and parades.

    Lastly, I see the throngs of people and recognize that despite many differences, they too are human beings with many of the same basic fears, hopes, aspirations and dreams as you and I.

    ReplyDelete