Monday, December 27, 2010

China: Fragile Superpower

Check out my review of another book that I just finished reading over the Christmas break by clicking here. My criticisms of this book are much stronger then they were for Postcards from Tomorrow Square. I appreciate that this book goes into much more depth on the political history of China over the past 30 years, particularly with regards to foreign policy. However, this book will be harder for most of you to get through and will do less in terms of developing your appreciation and understanding of modern day China. As I mention at the end of my post, it tends to sensationalize Chinese politics and Sino-American relations. However, for those of you who tune in to Hardball with Chris Matthews or Meet the Press religiously, you will enjoy Shirk's writing style.

2 comments:

  1. I have read with great interest your book reviews and I look forward to the comparisons you will make of the China of 1990 to the China of 2011. Have you found any books more helpful to a budding supply chain manager? I would think there should be some information out there specific to the occupation written by people who have been in the trenches these last few years...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read. Thanks.

    I understand your frustration with facets of her book. Remember its just one book that tries to cover many complex subjects in a mere 300 pages.

    To build of the foundation she laid and to further explore some of the issues you are passionate about, you might check out the book, What Does China Think. My memory is that the author is Mark Leonard. A very different, but insightful book.

    The issues you discuss you might also raise the the locals when we visit English Corner in Beijing. You can use that event to test in and admittedly rudimentary and unscientific way some of your hypotheses with the average person on the street there, and affirm or disaffirm.

    Prof. Carr

    ReplyDelete